Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Stinkbug Battle

Written November 5, 2009

So I was busy working on my presentation when I look up and see this freaking HUGE stinkbug perched on one of my bedposts. I have to admit, the one facet of nature I cannot fully appreciate is its multitude of flying insects. Ones on the ground I can better deal with; I know I'm faster than them anyway. But the flying ones scare me the most.

I jumped up immediately and decided on my plan of action. Luckily, Dennis and Rebecca both bought me an electric bug zapper in Taiwan, which I brought with me to college. (For anyone who doesn't know what it looks like, it's pretty much like a tennis racket, except smaller and electrically charged.)

I carefully moved back my blanket--I wanted to avoid any insect legs/guts that might spray onto my bed--and slammed the zapper on the intruder. I saw the electric sparks fly once, and then the little stinker disappeared.

I looked around cautiously--and I admit, I had to scream once and stifle a couple expletives when I saw it now perched inside one of my shoes. Apparently it only lost a leg the first time I slammed it. I quickly took my shoe and dumped it upside down and then quickly slammed the zapper again on the stinkbug. This time it died after being zapped 3 times.

I'm sorry if this story disturbed anyone who happens to love insects. The two things I do not tolerate in my room are 1.) guys who come to visit without telling me beforehand and 2.) bugs that also come unannounced. I will 赶走 (lit.translation: chuck) the intruders.

No comments:

Post a Comment